General What was the first forum software that you ever used?

For discussions that don't fit other prefixes.

Cpvr

Rookie Contributor
Community Moderator
Back in the early 2000s, I launched my first forum using SMF as my forum software. Later, I switched to IPB, and from there, I moved to vBulletin.

After vBulletin, I transitioned to Xenforo.

What about you? What was the first forum software that you ever used?

First one I ever used was either phpBB or IPB 1.3, don’t remember exactly which one came first. But I do remember my begin days like it was yesterday. Not knowing how it was properly setup or managed. Learned a lot since then. Wish I could go back in time and relive those days for a little while. :D

My own with threaded replies and unlimited depth in early 2000 like:

> Thread
Re: Thread
>> Re: Thread
>> Re: Thread

As it was built into my own MMPORG text based game. Members had no problem with it.

After the game was stable with enough features, I converted it to what you would consider a traditional view (like Xenforo), but with very limited features of title and message with little "emoji" (related to the game) support.

Then I got into blog networks, criminal justice and forex to be exact. The CPC from interlinking was insane for those keywords at the time ($7-25 per click, just incredibly competitive).

But I made my very first mistake opening my first forum in the forex niche on vB3, then vB4, with all the bells and whistles (vB SEO and a ton of brand free DragonByte Tech plugins)... in a niche I had no interest in and relied on paid content posting — $10,000 sunk, with a saving grace of a $3,000 ad deal right before I planned on pulling the plug; soon as the ad deal played out and they didn't renew, it was shut down. I was down about 50% on the investment, but the blog networks held so it wasn't too bad of a loss when combined.

Anyone want my vB4 license? 😅

Now, I hold several more XF licenses (and will buy anyone's second hand if the price is right), than open forums. But, I'm working on 3 concurrently, about to add the 4th.

I used InvisionFree during 2004-05, back when I was a total noob. Then I used ZetaBoards in 2008 where I felt it was more modern then and that I had matured also.

I used InvisionFree, then ZetaBoards, and now Jcink. I've been stuck in the non-self-hosted software world for ages.

I think I even had a ProBoards forum once.

Back