General Should forum owners be subject matter experts?

For discussions that don't fit other prefixes.

Cpvr

Rookie Contributor
Community Moderator
Reflect on the niche of your forum for a moment. How well do you know the subject? Would you consider yourself more of a learner or a teacher within your forum's niche?

Do you believe it's essential for niche forum owners to be subject matter experts? Can a forum thrive if the owner isn’t seen as an authority in the field? Do you think becoming an expert is something that can be achieved while managing the forum, or is it best to have a solid foundation of knowledge before launching it?

Let’s discuss your thoughts on the role of expertise in building a successful niche forum. Do you think knowledge alone is the key to success, or are there other factors that play a role?

I think the forum owner should definetely have a fair amount of knowledge based on their niche. It is the owner's job to set the foundation of the board through supporting by any means possible. Take my board for instance, if I had no coding knowledge I would be dependent on the members or staff I hire to fulfill the objective of the board. That's pretty much seeking benefits for the board, whether it's a popularity contest or monetization. Why create a forum for a specific niche you have no passion/knowledge of?

Yes. I believe they should have some good knowledge of the subject. I don't see myself starting a pharmaceutical website since I literally know zero about it. You wouldn't be able to passionately post or manage the board if you don't know anything about it. On the other hand, you also don't want to get cocky thinking you're a know it all. Stay humble, and know you can learn every day.

Only that for my case, I was a social science student last year and do know certain elements of it... the only problem I just had was being unable to get a target audience.

I'll just stick to my wee techy forum :P

Back