Strategy How do you handle ad blockers on your community?

For tactical advice on community-building.

Cedric

404: Title Not Found
Administration
1727288767707.webp

So I was browsing a forum and saw this big red header. Made me curious how you'd approach ad blockers on your forum. Some communities detect and request members to disable them, while others give an option, like going premium to avoid ads altogether.

1. Do you use ad block detection on your forum? If yes, what message do you show to users?
  2. Have you had success with members disabling their ad blockers when prompted?
  3. For members, do you tend to disable your ad blocker when asked, or do you ignore it? Does it bother you, or are you indifferent?
  4. For admins, do you give the option to bypass ads through a premium upgrade, or is it mandatory to disable ad blockers?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences!

Right now, my board has no ads because I have Jcink Premium. Though, I use Adblock Plus myself. After my Jcink Premium expires, ads will re-appear on my board, but they are to sponsor the forum software itself, as I do not monetize my forum by any means. I keep Adblock Plus enabled on every site I visit unless the site forces me to disable it to view something I wish to view. I usually turn away from sites that force you to disable your ad blocker.

I don’t use ad block detection on my forum because I find that feature very annoying. I use ad block myself, but I turn it off when I want to support a site I like.

Currently, my forum doesn’t have any ads, but I plan to monetize it with Google AdSense soon. I’ll give my members the option to remove ads through an account upgrade or display ads for guests only. I haven’t decided what I want to do yet.

I’ll give my members the option to remove ads through an account upgrade or display ads for guests only.
This (minus the account upgrade) was enough when I ran a geo-forum.

Tourists were too bothered to sign up and I'd rake in the revenue there.

It was enough to keep members free of ads and upgrades. After all, they contributed to creating the content to bring tourists there for that CPC revenue.

Ads were also opt-in, so some members chose to display ads in their forum preferences too.

Back