Growth Encouraging your forum members to invite others to join your forum

For discussions related to expanding the member base.

Cpvr

Rookie Contributor
Community Moderator
Encouraging your forum members to invite others is an often overlooked but highly effective way to grow your community and attract valuable members. One way to inspire this is by offering rewards or incentives for those who successfully bring in new members. These rewards could be anything from a special badge or status on the forum to a prize, creating a fun and motivating atmosphere.

It's also important to make the process of inviting others as easy as possible. Providing referral links or pre-written invitation messages that members can share directly from their profiles can streamline the process. When people feel like inviting others is effortless, they're more likely to do it.

Reminding your members of the benefits of being part of your community can also go a long way. Encourage them to share these advantages with their friends and contacts, whether it's through personal conversations or by promoting your forum on social media. Offering pre-written messages or graphics can make this even easier.

Another way to boost engagement is through contests or challenges where members compete to invite the most new users. Not only does this create a buzz, but it also taps into a fun, competitive spirit that can motivate people to take action.

Additionally, recognizing members who successfully bring in new participants can spark further involvement. Highlighting these achievements will show that inviting others is appreciated and can encourage more members to follow suit.

Finally, personal outreach is one of the most effective ways to grow your forum. Encourage your members to send direct messages to their friends and family, explaining why they enjoy being part of the community and why they think others would benefit from joining as well.

What strategies have you tried on your forum to encourage members to invite others? Let's discuss different approaches and how they worked for you!

I have two on-forum currencies that I run.

"Meme" Coins to keep it family friendly that allow for forum upgrades (username effects, etc.); and
Real Tokens.

You earn the meme coins by posting, but only Real Tokens through referrals right now — but, I might implement packages of buying Real Tokens with their Meme Coins.

Since Real Tokens will directly convert to Dogecoin (it only feels right with the theme of Coins offered), I still need to work out ways to monitor transactions and legitimate referrals, and obviously an approval queue so that someone can't automatically wipe my Dogecoin wallet in seconds of signing up.

I also need to have a "currency exchange" or volatility monitor in place so that the outcome will be a set $1 no matter what. For instance, if 10 Doge are trading for 10 cents, they could trade for 10 Doge with X Tokens. But, if Doge has a run to 75 cents, it would reflect where they could only pull 1-2 Doge for the same amount of Real Tokens.

Since Real Tokens will directly convert to Dogecoin (it only feels right with the theme of Coins offered), I still need to work out ways to monitor transactions and legitimate referrals, and obviously an approval queue so that someone can't automatically wipe my Dogecoin wallet in seconds of signing up.
Be careful with that. It could be quickly turned into something with other intentions. Especially when you automate it. It’s not a bad idea but I’d let them manually convert the tokens to Dogecoin. For example put a custom item for sale in the shop that they can purchase for x-Tokens. Which will then notify to of said purchase, and you can DM the buyer for the transaction.

Reactions: frm
Especially when you automate it.
All transactions will be monitored and publicly approved or rejected with the blockchain transaction publicly viewable when approved.

If someone refers 10 members, they will have to meet criteria, one of which not being sock accounts which is easy to spot, amongst other things.

If a transaction is denied, they can make a public plea, and the reason for denial will be made public too.

While a lot will be automated (like compare IP addresses, timezones, and other fingerprinting), of say the 10, there will be redacted information made public as to why it's denied, if denied, to make it clear that we're as transparent in all of our decisions.

It's going to take a while to get the framework together for that, because I couldn't imagine vetting 10 or even 100 transactions a day. But, the tools built will hopefully ensure 99.8% or higher are all legitimate, and will give the 0.2% a chance to make their case versus what we've collected to determine the denial — so they better have the facts straight, because we sure will.

I've always done this with my forum and others I had in the past. Plus, I find it more beneficial so that I'm not wary about some strange from the unknown coming along... least I know others are mutual friends of my members and it'd be natural for me to trust them as soon as they sign up.

I created a referral code that people can use to refer people to the board, but I think the code is partially broken in that it doesn't send me a PM after the new member registers. I should probably look into that. I offer 250 credits for users who refer people to the board, but no one has ever said anything about gaining their credits and I've had the feature available for years. I've seen the referral profile field filled out a few times on user's profiles.

Your forum users can be your brand ambassadors, they can promote your forums on various communities and social media, however, for this to happen, your community needs to be really useful, it should offer value to the users. One of the easiest ways to encourage your members to invite others to join thew forum is by offering incentives for bringing in users.

I have two on-forum currencies that I run.

"Meme" Coins to keep it family friendly that allow for forum upgrades (username effects, etc.); and
Real Tokens.

You earn the meme coins by posting, but only Real Tokens through referrals right now — but, I might implement packages of buying Real Tokens with their Meme Coins.

I also need to have a "currency exchange" or volatility monitor in place so that the outcome will be a set $1 no matter what. For instance, if 10 Doge are trading for 10 cents, they could trade for 10 Doge with X Tokens. But, if Doge has a run to 75 cents, it would reflect where they could only pull 1-2 Doge for the same amount of Real Tokens.
That's awesome! To be honest, the best way to gain more members is to offer incentives which could be in form of a referral system or it could be paid posting. What will make it even more effective is when the forum is offering value. That way, it will attract organic traffic. What's the name of your forum?

That's awesome! To be honest, the best way to gain more members is to offer incentives which could be in form of a referral system or it could be paid posting. What will make it even more effective is when the forum is offering value. That way, it will attract organic traffic. What's the name of your forum?
RealShit as posted in Administrata's directory. Read more about it:

There is already a referral tracking system in place, but rewards, and the criteria to get those awards have not been established yet.

However, anyone that refers a member now will be retroactively credited for that referral if the referral meets the eligibility criteria when set in stone. An example of this should be a given that will not credit sock accounts, so if it's determined that you referred yourself, it will not be credited. That said, we will have an appeal system in place just in case we pick up a legitimate brother or sister participating on the same computer to make it as fair as possible since real rewards, and not just pennies, are at stake.

Back