General Do you tend to join/avoid sites that use a certain forum software?

For discussions that don't fit other prefixes.

Cpvr

Rookie Contributor
Community Moderator
I’ll admit it, I can be a bit picky when it comes to joining certain forums. I’ll join ones that run Jcink or SMF, but I won’t join a forum that uses MyBB, as I’m not much of a fan of that platform.

That said, I’m more likely to join a forum running Xenforo or even IPB, since I’m a fan of both platforms.

What about you? Does the forum’s software matter to you when you join a new community or not really?

Hmm, yes. More than I care to admit. For me it's more a matter of free vs paid software. And I think you can distinguish the serious community leaders from the less serious. When you go paid software, you tend to care more about the community. You're willing to spend money, you (should) have a clear vision and goal. So naturally those people are taken more serious.

The forum community atmosphere has hanged so much that you can't make crucial mistakes like this. Sure, you can still upgrade from free to paid, but you've already lost majority of your visitors. So, personally, I'll join a community when I see some serious investment such as a license.

I steer clear away from ProBoards forums, especially when years ago ProBoards themselved had nagged you to turn off your ad-blocker. Maybe not as much now but wouldn't take the chance.

I'm also not a fan of SMF forums either, as I feel it's very outdated, more than what Jcink is anyway.

I steer clear away from ProBoards forums, especially when years ago ProBoards themselved had nagged you to turn off your ad-blocker. Maybe not as much now but wouldn't take the chance.

I'm also not a fan of SMF forums either, as I feel it's very outdated, more than what Jcink is anyway.
I have never been a fan of ProBoards, ever. Jcink is nice considering out history with InvisionFree.

You may or may not know, but SMF 3.0 is currently in heavy development, and we should be quite impressed with it (according to a good source).

You may or may not know, but SMF 3.0 is currently in heavy development, and we should be quite impressed with it (according to a good source).
Oh, I didn't know that. Interesting... can you tell me what'll be in store for it?

Oh, I didn't know that. Interesting... can you tell me what'll be in store for it?
It’s being completely rewritten, making it more easier that ever to create additional plugins by the community. I don’t want to “leak” too much as it may bring the source in danger. 😅 But I’ll ask if there’s anything else I can say.

I'm not a fan of MyBB, to be honest. Something about it just feels .. tryhard. I am sure the script is amazing and the people behind it are talented, it's just not my cup of tea.

I'm okay with every other forum script.

I'm not a fan of MyBB, to be honest. Something about it just feels .. tryhard. I am sure the script is amazing and the people behind it are talented, it's just not my cup of tea.

It’s awful on mobile too. It’s the only software that isn’t fully optimized for mobile phones and that’s a bad thing.
I definitely prefer Xenforo over all others. Only a handful of the forums I'm on don't run it. :D

ProBoards? Oh God. lol
ProBoards should offer an option for forum owners using their free hosting to transfer their forums to another provider if they choose, especially since they built the forums themselves. That's one thing I don't like about ProBoards.

It’s awful on mobile too. It’s the only software that isn’t fully optimized for mobile phones and that’s a bad thing.
It's quite hilarious that some theme developers are able to make a mobile responsive theme, but the software developers don't bother to make the core software mobile responsive.

Back