Leadership Do you keep an eye out on your competition?

For discussions around effective leadership styles and practices.

Cedric

404: Title Not Found
Administration
As a community leader, you’re undoubtedly passionate about the vision you’ve created and the members you serve. But part of leading a successful community goes beyond internal management—keeping an eye on external factors can be equally crucial. One key aspect to consider is your competition. While every community is unique, understanding what others in your niche are doing can provide valuable insights, both as lessons and inspiration.

I hear you, why should I pay attention to my competitor?

The idea of competition doesn’t necessarily mean you’re in a battle for survival. Rather, it’s about staying informed. Other communities may be experimenting with new features, content strategies, or engagement techniques that you could potentially learn from or adapt.

By observing what works (or doesn’t) for other community leaders, you can evaluate their strategies through the lens of your own community’s values and goals. Do they offer a feature your members might benefit from? Have they introduced a new type of event or reward system that drives engagement? Awareness of these trends helps you stay innovative and responsive to the evolving needs of your community.

Great! What shouldn’t I do?

While keeping an eye on competition can lead to growth, it’s easy to fall into the trap of constant comparison. No two communities are identical. They differ in structure, culture, and the types of members they attract. What works for another platform may not work for yours, and that’s perfectly fine. Instead of focusing on competition with the mindset of outdoing them, use your observations to inspire innovation within your own unique community framework. Don’t get lost into copying them.

I should offer something different then?

Yeah, look at your competition for gaps in their offerings. Perhaps they lack the personal touch your community prides itself on, or maybe they haven’t yet delved into certain content areas or features that your members are asking for. These gaps can present an opportunity for your community to stand out by filling those unmet needs.

I get it, work together, not against each other.

Exactly. Interestingly, competition doesn’t always have to mean rivalry. Some of the most successful communities find ways to collaborate with others in their space. Whether it’s cross-promotions, shared events, or even simply a mutual support network between community leaders, competition can foster collaboration that benefits everyone involved.

Some final thoughts

Staying aware of what other communities are doing allows you to remain dynamic, competitive, and responsive as a leader. But, it’s essential to stay true to your vision and remember that what makes your community special is what will ultimately keep your members engaged. Keep an eye on your competition, but never lose sight of your unique strengths.

Do you actively monitor other communities in your space? How has it shaped your approach as a community leader? Feel free to share your experiences below!

Back